Child custody modifications for Alabama fathers

Many fathers in the state of Alabama feel frustrated that they do not have enough time with their child because of the current child custody set-up. Often, if biological parents have split up while the child was still very young, for one reason or another, the mother will become the primary custodian and spend more than 50 percent of the time with that child.

However, it is generally regarded to be in the best interests of the child to have equal bonding time with both parents. It is quite common for fathers in Alabama to decide to push forward with filing for joint custody as the child gets older. There are many benefits for both the parents and the child when it comes to joint custody. It means that the parents are better able to work toward parenting decisions together, and that the child is able to spend quality time with both parents.

How does the child custody modification action process start?

In general, the first step in modifying a child custody agreement could be by talking through the requested modification with the other parent, if you feel comfortable in doing so. If you can both agree on a modification together, the process will be much simpler. This is because it means that the courts will very likely approve the changes when you have both mutually agreed on them.

If you and the other parent cannot come to a mutual agreement on how the child custody agreement should be modified, it will need to go through the consideration of a judge. The judge will consider the whole of the situation, including concerns of each parent, and make a decision purely on what they believe to be in the best interests of the child.

What needs to be shown before requesting a child custody modification?

In order to file for a child custody modification, you must be able to show that there has been a change of circumstances that make it necessary for a modification to be considered. It is important that you conduct thorough research before filing for a child custody modification in the state of Alabama.